Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Death On Fire Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
I started writing and recording music again after a 6year hiatus due to family and financial obligations. My amazing wife Danielle pushed me to start composing again and after I had written enough material I decided to release it and get some friends together to form our band and do a small tour in support. Musically it is a blend of melodic death metal and thrash with some hints of blues and jazz. I do some dodecaphonic stuff on one song that is fun too. Mostly it's just metal though

2.So far you have rleeased one album, how would you describe the musicaol sound that is resented on the recording?
I love Carcass and Megadeth, I have a ton of extreme music I enjoy but I always like a good melody. I was listening to a lot of Gojira and Amon Amarth when I wrote this album and I think it shows through rhythmically and with some of my melodies. I call it death metal but it definitely has melody.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
Most of it is very personal. I talk about regret and loss, depression, anger, betrayal and feeling isolated. Most of my lyrical content is me exercising my inner demons. I think you need to be sincere and honest with the lyrical content but I want it to mean whatever it does to other people. There is a dystopian theme about how America isn't as exceptional as we once were and how the corporate machine is destroying what truly matters. Lastly, I wrote about not being a victim. As dark as things get, for me I never want to lose without a fight and I struggle to compromise. I can be a bit self righteous.

4.Originally the project was called 'LazerWulf', what was the decision behind the name change and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name ;Death On Fire'?
There is another band in GA called Lzr/Wlf. They let me know about the conflict and we worked to change the name. They are great guys and have a cool math rock thing that they do. It took some time and several test names but Death on Fire just stuck. It has a good mental image for me. What could be more metal than a flaming skull piercing the dark to come take your life?

5.On this album you recorded everything by yourself, how would you compare it to working with a fll band?
I enjoy the process. I still collaborated though, mostly I spoke with friends about compositional ideas and things I studied at college. Once I found inspiration it was easy. I like this process because I can let the song flow naturally and stop or start the work process whenever I want. I do miss the band experience and there is real value to multiple people working together on a piece of art. That being said, I like the selfishness of writing music that sounds exactly how I want it to. Both ways are good, this was new and different for me since I normally write in a band and I think the newness of the experience was really refreshing. I already have a second album almost complete. It is just freeing to not answer to other people's opinions.

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
There are always people asking you to send them money and they will release it. That is a shame because they prey on people's dreams. Thankfully I have been around long enough to not fall into that trap. I would love to have a label that can offer support and hope the second album I am working on gets picked up. I am not pushing too hard at the moment though as we are focused on putting on a small diy tour to support the release and hoping that it catches some momentum.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your solo project by fans of extreme metal?
I have had a lot of really good feedback. I think we are more melodic than some bands and that opens us up to a wider fan base. The only criticism I get is some people don't care for the vocal stylings but hey, it's extreme metal! Most people are very supportive and I feel honored that they enjoy the music.

8.Are you currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
I am a bit of a gun for hire on that front. There is an excellent power metal band called Zephaniah that I sit in on bass for when needed. That is a lot of fun because it is something different for me and it lets me work on right hand technique similar to classical. I study with Ken Jehle locally and we do some jazz stuff hear and there. Mostly just self indulgent fun.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
Hopefully signed and making music. I love what I do and try to grow with each recording. Right now I am looking at blending more jazz elements and more unique time signatures into what I write with out losing the flow and melody. I am also exploring atonality and how it can. E used to create suspense in metal.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
 Like I said Carcass is huge, anything pre risk Megadeth, Pantera, Cattle Decapitation, Amon Amarth, all kinds of extreme stuff. I also really love faith no more, Mr Bungle, He is legend. I listen to more old recordings because they seem to have a power to the content. I don't like Djent outside of Meshuggah. I love 80's top 40s because the melodies are great. New stuff; probably Gojira, Fit for an Autopsy, Revocation. I love Leo Brauer, he is a Cuban composer on classical guitar. Barrios, Villa Lobos. I am fortunate to have been exposed to a ton of music and it all sneaks into what I do in some way or form.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Family is huge for me. Outside of that I love rugby and played it up until last year for the Chicago Lions. It's a great sport and I have life long friends because of it. Now I Power Lift and dream of classic muscle cars.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for taking the time to ask me these questions. I hope everyone likes what I/we are doing. Come see us on the road, buy the album if you can, and support your local scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment