Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Hitwood Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
My name is Antonio, I started to play guitar from 2007 and in the same year I have founded my solo project after some dreams where an old man called Hitwood, a wise of japanese origins, "contacted” me every night and try to dialogue with me with celestial melodies instead of words. So, after some of these dreams I’ve started to record on my phone what I remember immediately after awake. In dreams the melodies sounds more celestial so I’ve elaborated them to fit with my favorite music style: Metal. So, the overall sound is more dark from what I’ve heard in dreams but I tried to keep them are as catchy as Hitwood intended them to sound. After 9 years, in 2016, the project left the shadows with the debut album “When Youngness.. Flies Away..”, all these years was necessary to elaborate all the melodies dreamed and compress them into a flowing song structure capable of connecting directly to your subconscious. In April 2017 I’ve released “As a Season Bloom” EP with a more multicolored sound and many other music genres influences.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
   I don’t want to be classified in a music genre because of the variety of my style but just to give to you an idea I’m very influenced by Melodic Death Metal scene, Post Metal and a bit by shoegaze but, as you can hear I            can’t be classified in no one of these categories. To me is simply dreamy music.

3.So far all of your music has been instrumental, are you open to using any vocals in the future?
Yes, this what I’m working on right now. I’m in the recording process of the new EP and I’m trying to define all the song structures. I will invite some guest vocalists to do the job and you will have some surprises also you could appreciate some of the story behind dreams now explained with word instead of only melodies.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hitwood'?
Hitwood is the old man who appears in dreams of many people, he called the people connected with his dream world “messengers”, because he give us the mission to break the dividing line between the real world and the dream world, trying to find a connection to overcome the dream and tell to humanity what’s our future which Hitwood had predicted. I’ve never meet other “messengers” in real life but I’m trying to spread what I've experienced in these dreams with my music. I don’t know what the Hitwood name means, probably "hit the woods" but I can’t figure out if it has a real meaning

5.On the albums you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians  or do you prefer to remain solo?
   In the past I’ve tried to have band members but I realized that by myself I could be more productive and without limits. This is as well more satisfying to myself. I’ve learned to play guitars and drums with the purpose to do it all by myself.

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
Some undergrounds labels have contacted me but I've refused the proposal because for now I prefer to remain independent. If in the future, if the project will grow, I could evaluate to work with a label but for now I can handle it alone.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of post and melodic death metal?
  I’ve never do much promotion about this project so for now it’s a really underground project and I begin to see some results only in these few months. The feedback I’ve received by fans by the way are awesome, some people love that kind of music and the continue to support me. I think the mix between post and melodeath it’s the winning element but I know that Instrumental music isn’t a thing for everyone.. but in the future with the new songs this will change.

8.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
No, this project and my main job are just enough to me (laughs, ndr)

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as musician in the future?
   I’ve no plans for the future, As long as the dreams are recurring I keep doing what I’m do, If the dreams will stop, I probably change moniker to begin a new musical path

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
As I’ve already said, Melodic Death Metal is a huge influence to my songwriting. My favorite bands are In Flames and Dark Tranquillity but I like all the gothenburg sound scene. From the “post metal” scene I’m very into Agalloch, Alcest, Solstafir, Drudkh, Pelican, Dornenreich and bands like that. Also Metallica was one of my favorite, in particular their leader James Hetfield give me the inspiration to learn to play guitar 10 years ago. I have no limits in my music tastes, I could jump from Metal to Rap and ending to listen folk music; I think this is important as an artist to know all the music panorama

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
I’m a nature lover, so travel is one of the things I prefer to do. I’m a bit into photography and when I have a bit of free time I dedicate myself to cycling. I’m also beer lover and tea addict, the culture that lies behind about this one always fascinates me.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
   First, I would thank you for this interview. Second, to all of these ones who have read up to this point, I hope you could enjoy my music, download the albums on Hitwood Bandcamp page, it’s completely free, close your eyes and dive into my dreams. Third, stay tuned because the best is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment