Monday, August 14, 2017

Slice Of Sorrow Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about  the band?

Roman: Hi! Slice of Sorrow is an atmospheric death metal band from Russia. It’s my side project which I founded in 2015. All the material I write by myself: music, lyrics, arrangements. The songs have headbanging riffs, melodic leads, atmospheric keyboards and extreme vocals. Right now we’ve got one album out. It’s called “Execution” and we have very tasty and spicy video for song “Brutal”. You should definitely check it out.

2.So far you have released a demo and a full length, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings?

Roman: The full-length album sounds massive, strong, full of energy and passion. It’s got headbanging rhythm guitars, melodic leads, cool keyboards as I said before and the most important thing is that it gives you strength and confidence when you listening to it also it relaxes you for example the song “Kingdom of Suffering”. I gotta tell you “Execution” is very varied and professional sounding. That’s all I wanted.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Roman: Lyrics are about anger, hate, vengeance, passion, inner strength, sex. That’s pretty much it. The main message is “Don’t be a victim, be a hunter!”

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Slice Of Sorrow'?

Roman: Actually it's very funny ‘cause I didn’t come up with this title, Marina Nemtseva did - guitarist and cofounder of Instorm (my another band). The story goes like this. I had a lot of ideas for the title but the thing was that they just were not good enough for the band. I felt that it needs something cooler, something better. So one day Marina said: ”Hey, what about Slice of Sorrow?” And I said: “Wow, it’s actually pretty cool!” It’s damn good because it’s a big title, it’s catchy and the most important thing it perfectly reflects the mood of the songs.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Roman: Well, it’s my favorite part definitely. The best concert so far took place in Novomoskovsk it's a town in Russia. There was the biggest audience so far that we played for. The club was filled with people they were very responsive and it was such a pleasure playing there. We was giving them our energy and they gave it back like in 100 times more. It was so cool, the crowd was really kicking ass. Well, it was the best feeling in my life so far. Thanks Novomoskovsk for that! \m/
Speaking of our stage performance I'd say - it's very energetic, dynamic, headbanging. We do everything to bring people joy. I like seeing people headbanging, jumping, dancing, singing and slamming with us. It's the best feeling.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

Roman: Yeah, sure we've got some plans for the concerts. Right now we don't have the actual dates but we're working on it.

7.The new album was released on 'Metal Carnival Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Roman: With pleasure. 'Metal Carnival Records' was founded by me and Marina Nemtseva. We did it because we wanted to release our albums on our terms 'cause you know unfortunately most average record labels can't offer you a good deal. Their conditions and support are very poor. So we've thought that maybe we can do better by ourselves and we'll see where it gets us. Right now we're doing only our bands but who knows what will be in the future.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of melodic death metal?

Roman: You know, feedbacks were really great. I got messages from different corners of the world that "Execution" is very cool, it's awesome music. I didn't expect that there will be so many positive feedbacks about vocals. I was flattered that listeners love the sound quality of the album 'cause it's my second album as a producer. Reviews are pretty great too. I really happy that people like it. Thanks for listening, guys and thanks for the feedbacks.

9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?

Roman: Well our drummer Max Konnov also plays in a band called "The Suicider". They released new album this year. Our bass player Alexander Petrov like me and Marina plays in "Instorm". So what's up with "Instorm" right now? It's been quiet for a while but we did a lot of work all this time. And that's all I can say about it right now.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Roman: There won't be something extraordinary different style-wise. It's gonna be like the first album, you know, old school death with heavy guitars and melodic keyboards but I've got aces up my sleeve so there will be some surprises definitely. It will be couple songs that you just won't expect from Slice of Sorrow but of cause in a good way;)

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Roman: The biggest influence on my music in this project is Hypocrisy. It's an amazing band and I really dig it. Besides it I could say Cradle of Filth, Cryhavoc, Metallica, Dimmu Borgir and of cause classical music like Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart. Speaking of what I'm listening to now, it's classical music, KISS, Hypocrisy, Cryhavoc, Iron Maiden and Metallica. As you can see it's pretty old school stuff.)

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Roman: I like to play video games. My favorite ones are Gothic, The Witcher and Mortal Kombat. Also I like to create websites. I mean from the scratch, design, layout, programming and other stuff, for example our official websites sliceofsorrow.com and instormed.com are entirely my work.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Roman: Thank you everyone who listens to Slice of Sorrow. I'm very happy when my music reaches other people and helps them in life. Come to our concerts, stay strong and be yourself no matter what! \m/
Thank you for the interesting interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment